Our volunteers provide free services to all who ask. This website & our helplines are paid for by donations. Please help us out.
Membership in Voices is free. Click here to join!
Don't walk this path alone
A place for long-term care information, support, and solutions from the perspective of those who have been there.
Voices for Quality Care
is now available
2013 Initiatives & Concerns
- First National Nursing Home Report Card: Our grades, Maine - A, Florida - B, Washington, D.C., - C, Maryland - D. Click here for more information.
- New National Ombudsman Program Rule: Will improve the ombudsman programs in all states. Click here to see Voices comments on this new rule.
- Long-Term Care Alternatives: Nursing homes are not the only solution to a need for long-term care. In many circumstances assisted living facilities, in-home, and community-based care are available. For those on Medicaid, the Medicaid Waivers and the Money Follows the Person programs are possibilities. Voices volunteers are available to answer your questions and provide advocacy through the process.
- MOLST ALERT: On April 1, 2012, every person in Maryland entering or living in a nursing home, assisted living facility, hospital, hospice, kidney dialysis unit, or hiring in-home care services is required to have a Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (MOLST) forms filled out and signed by a physician or nurse practitioner. There is no place for the person to sign indicating they agree with the provisions in this document. This is what an emergency room will use as a basis of treatment when emergency medical treatment is needed A copy is to be given to the patient within 48 hours. PROTECT YOURSELF --GET A COPY -- MAKE SURE IT REFLECTS YOUR WISHES! Click here for more details
- Independent Resident & Family Councils: Voices for Quality Care is developing a registery of independent Resident & Family Councils. Please register your Council with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.